Be sure and mark your calendars for SAFF 2017!
There are classes on Thursday. No shopping, no selling. We are setting up.
Friday, October 27 – (9am – 6pm)
Saturday, October 28 – (9am – 6pm)
Sunday, October 29 – (9am – 4pm)
The event is located at the WNC Agricultural Center, in Fletcher, NC, across Hwy 280 from the Asheville Regional Airport. (Exit 40 off I-26).
Admission will be $5/person per day. $10 pass for 3 days. Youth under 13 yrs. old will be free.
Keep in touch with us, and check the website for news on 2017, as it becomes available.
Again, thanks to all of you for being a part of this exciting Fiber Event!
Sit and Knit/ Sit and Spin
This year the “sit and spin” and/or sit and knit will happen in the Davis Arena, near the vendors. There is a dock area and chairs will be set up for spinning or knitting.
Free demonstrations take place all the time at SAFF. Watch as vendors and other festival-goers spin, knit, weave, crochet and felt throughout the event. At particular times, vendors will demonstrate a special technique.
Drop in and Weave
Throughout the weekend you can try your hand at weaving with the WNC Fiber Handweavers Guild. They’ll have looms set up near the main entrance of the Davis, In the long hall that runs from the atrium area near the information desk. Experienced weavers will be on hand to answer your questions as you try out the fascinating transformation from yarn to cloth.
Sunday – Contemporary Roving to Scarf
More than a demonstration, SAFF 2016 will feature Spinning and Weaving teams as they transform the roving of their choice into a lovely scarf. If you’d like to be a part of such a team, check out the details at https://www.saffsite.org/contests/sheep-to-shawl/.
If you want to learn more, visit with representatives of the John C. Campbell Folk School on Friday and Haywood Community College all weekend long to see what opportunities are available in our craft-rich area. You’ll find them in the long hall near the main entrance of the Davis arena, near the information desk.
This is just a sampling of the demonstrations going on all around you. 2017 SAFF event program will have the demonstrations listed.
WNC Agricultural Center
1301 Fanning Bridge Rd.
Fletcher, NC 28732
Take I-26 East to Exit 40. Make a right turn off the ramp on to Airport Road, 280. Go past Fanning Bridge Road and continue on Airport Road, 280 to gate 7. That is the main entrance. Gate 1 will be closed.
Take I-26 West to Exit 40. Make a left turn off the ramp on to Airport Road, 280. Go past Fanning Bridge Road and continue on Airport Road, 280 to gate 7. That is the main entrance. Gate 1 will be closed.
For more information on the Event Location visit:
WNC Agricultural Center
Lodging and RV
For your convenience, here is a list of accommodations within few miles of the event. SAFF takes place during “Leaf Season” and rooms fill up quickly. Try to make your reservations as soon as possible. The actual address is 1301 Fanning Bridge Road, Fletcher, NC 28732 Also the zip code of 28704 which is Arden.
Lodging at the same exit as SAFF, exit 40 off I26:
- Additional Lodging at Exit 37 off I26:Clarion Inn Airport, 550 Airport Road, Fletcher
- Econo Lodge Airport, 196 Underwood Road, Fletcher
- Hampton Inn and Suites Asheville 1-26, 18 Rockwood Road, Fletcher 28732
- Fairfield Inn Asheville Airport, 31 Airport Park Drive, Fletcher, 28732
- Courtyard/Marriot, 360 Rockwood Road, Arden 28704
- Comfort Inn Asheville Airport, 15 Rockwood Road, Fletcher, 28732
- Hilton Hotel Biltmore Park, 43 Town Square Blvd, Asheville 28803 828-684-4380
RV Site Rental Information
- SAFF can provide a limited number of full hook-ups for Recreational Vehicles on the Grounds of the Western NC Agricultural Center at a cost of $30/night.
- RV Site locations are along the fence by Fanning Bridge Road; on the right-hand side of the Alpaca Barn; in front of Barns A & B, and along the back area at the lower end of the fairgrounds.
- Campers will need to bring a splitter for water, as most of the locations share 1 hydrant between 2 sites.
- Site selection is based on first-come-first-served. Specific RV sites are not reserved, because there is no way for us to police this across the board.
- All RV’s must post their RV Sticker on the passenger’s side of their windshield where it can be easily seen from outside. (These stickers indicate what nights have been paid for.) You will be required to check in with the front desk in the Davis arena and to get your sticker.
- You MUST fill out a RV Site Reservation Form RV-Site-Registration-2017 and mail it to Lorri Helms or if you would like to register and pay online click here https://www.saffsite.org/secure/rvregnonmbr.asp . If you are unable to download the Reservation Form or register online, contact Lorri to have them sent to you.
- No matter where you chose to camp, entry to and exit from the fairgrounds is from Airport Rd only.
258 Angel Road
Mars Hill, NC 28754
The food vendor inside the McGough Arena will be open on Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Restaurants (all within 1-2 miles of Ag center) Exit 40 off I26
- Ihop Restaurant
- Sonic Drive-In
- Waffle House
Sit down Restaurants
- Acropolis Pizza, 104-G Airport Road, Arden 28704 828-684-5737
- Carrabba’s www.carrabbas.com 332 Rockwood Road, Arden 28704 828-654-8411
- Casa Torres Mexican Restaurant, www.casatorresmexican.com 336 Rockwood Road, Arden 28704 828-684-6929
- Chili’s Grill and Bar 420 Airport Road, Arden 828-684-5067
- Circle B Ranch BBQ 655 Airport Road, Fletcher 828-687-2323
- J & S Cafeteria 30 Airport Park Road, Fletcher 828-684-3418
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store 344 Rockwood Road, Arden 828-684-2740
- Little Caesars Pizza 229 Airport Road, Arden 828-654-9039
- Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon 341 Rockwood Road, Arden 828-684-5506
- Moe’s Southwest Grill 300 Airport Road, Arden 28704
- Olive Garden 400 Airport Road, Arden 828-654-9921
- Ruby Tuesday 260 Underwood Road, Fletcher 828-684-5201
- Starbucks (in Target)-15 McKenna Road, Arden 828-681-0341
- Tamarind Thai Cuisine www.eattamarindthai.com 33 Rockwood Road #112 Arden 828-654-0988
Restaurants at Exit 37 off 1-26 West 3 miles of Ag center
- Waffle house
- Pomodoro’s Greek & Italian Café www.pomodorscafe.com 75 Long Shoals Road 28704
- Wild wing café www.wildwingcafe.com 65 Long Shoals Road 28704
Biltmore Park-area www.biltmorepark.com
- PF Chang’s China Bistro 828-681-2975
- Brixx Wood Fired Pizza 828-654-0046
- Travinia Italian Kitchen 828-684-8060
- Neo Burrito 828-676-2500
- Hickory Tavern Grill and Raw Bar 828-684-0975
- BT’s Burger joint 828-651-8481
- 131 Main Restaurant 828-651-0131
Pharmacies, Big Box Stores and Grocery
Airport Exit 40, Ag center
- Ingles 3338 Boylston Hwy, Mills River 28759 west (left out of ag center)3.4 miles from ag center
- Target-left out of Ag Center
- Walmart-left out of Ag Center
- Lowes-left out of Ag Center
Long Shoals exit 37 from ag center is one exit West
- ABC store (liquor), 75 Long Shoals Road 28704 828-687-3777
- CVS, 324 Long Shoals Road, Arden 28704
- Ingles (grocery/beer/wine) 301 Long Shoals Road, Asheville 28704